Takoma Park is a small jurisdiction within Montgomery County, Maryland, bordering the District of Columbia and Prince George’s County. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active citizenry, the community is known for its progressive housing and environmental policies, independent businesses, and rich arts community. Our planning staff is small and plays an important role in the City’s efforts to improve the quality of life of its residents through the implementation of policies that support transit-oriented, mixed-use development and active transportation.
The City of Takoma Park MD is seeking an experienced Planner who is a self-starter with strong communication and project management skills. Current projects that will become the responsibility of the selected candidate include the development of a community-wide Public Land and Open Space Management Plan, completion of a major streetscape project, coordination of an upcoming bikeways study, and site plan review of new and ongoing redevelopment projects. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to initiate projects, identify funding options and work collaboratively with other departments and agencies on projects that advance local and regional development goals. This position is subject to membership in the AFSCME union.
- Coordinating with local and neighboring jurisdictions; Developing and maintaining partnerships with governmental and non-government stakeholders on projects related to transportation, economic development, zoning, land-use, research and public art
- Researching, preparing and submitting of applications for grants and technical assistance programs in support of existing or proposed projects
- Managing grant awards including monitoring progress, expenditure of funds and preparing reports
- Managing streetscape and placemaking design and engineering projects
- Researching, gathering and analyzing data
- Preparing memoranda, reports, presentations, publications, spreadsheets, tables and charts including presenting information to the City Council, County Planning Board and other public bodies
- Planning and implementing neighborhood bikeways improvements and other transportation-related projects
- Coordinating review of development applications
- Issuing City permit letters
- Developing and updating departmental communications materials
- Managing the NewAve website while ensuring content is updated and accessible
- Developing maps for internal and external purposes
- Selecting, training and supervising interns
- Performing all other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the Planning, Community Development or any other related field
- One to two years of progressive, responsible Planning experience; or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job
- Experience with reading site plans and construction drawings
In addition to these qualifications listed above, highly competitive candidates will have:
- Minimum of two to three years’ experience in a Planning position
- Direct experience in website development, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, and Google Custom Search
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) principles and practices
The following materials must be included with your application submission. All supplemental documents can be uploaded under “Documents.” Submissions that do not include all requested documents will be incomplete and not considered.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (Maximum of two pages)
- Additional Work Samples (Maximum of two samples and may include maps, graphics, poster, written excerpts, etc.)
The starting salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with experience. The City offers an excellent benefits program including participation in the Maryland State Retirement program, 457(b), employer paid insurance for single coverage and 80% for dependent coverage, tuition reimbursement and much more.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.